Sunday, November 20, 2011

MISTING AND MASKING TUTORIAL

Welcome ladies.. So every month now I get to share and inspire at My Sketch World as Video Tutorial Designer with a technique of my choice and share either a tutorial or video or both. I have had so much fun doing these. They inspire me to step out of my box and experiment. I guess some of the things I do aren't new to everyone but I know when I just started I would have loved to have had someone share and show me some of the things I now get to share with you.
So at the end or beginning of every month after posting only at MSW forum and Blog I have decided to post on my personal blog and share with you too.

I am excited to share MISTING AND MASKING with you today.

Supplies:
cardstock
MISTS (Tattered Angels, Andirondack, Memories Mists or Perfect Pearls)
letters or shapes of either cricut cut paper, chipboard
paper or plastic background diecuts
piece of lace fabric
piece of curtain holey fabric
piece of plastic needlepoint shapes
paper doilies
Either a box to mist into or a plastic work sheet
paper towels and water for clean up

So lets get messy. The easiest thing to do is misting... just spray the background any way you like... lightly or heavy... part of page or the whole thing... lots of options... one colour or multi colour.
On this sample I knew the paper and photo would be through the centre section so I went lighter through the centre.

Here is a sample of a paper die cut.

Here is the finished background after spraying through the paper die cut.

Here is a sample of a plastic circle used for needlepoint.

Here is the finished background after spraying through the holes in the plastic.

Here is a sample of a piece of lace... just enough holes to give a great pattern.

Here is the finished background after spraying through the lace.

Here is a sample of curtain fabric with bigger holes... only covering part of the cardstock.

Here is the finished background after spraying through the fabric and into the upper half of the paper also.

Here is the finished background after spraying over chipboard letters for the name and also through a piece of plastic heart and also through a paper doiley.

I am sure you have many other ideas also of things, shapes, fabrics etc that you can use to achieve many backgrounds with misting and masking.
NOW I'd like to share with you ways to finish a layout page starting with the above backgrounds.
We will also be using the amazing Lucy Chesna Design October Layout Sketch 2011 to finish these projects.

First using the plain misted background and the sketch .. here is my finished layout.
On this one I placed the sketch portion to the centre but full left and right.... letting the misting show on the top and bottom.

Next using the curtain holey fabric background and the sketch... here is my finished layout.
On this one I stretched the sketch out a bit more to cover more of the page.. especially with the accents and trims.

Lastly using the big full die cut background and the sketch.. here is my finished layout.
On this one I didn't want to cover all the beautiful masking so I used the open space technique and condensed the sketch portion in tight and compact.

Sure hope you enjoyed this today.
Be sure to check out My Sketch World forum and Tutorials with Bev.
Share with us any of your ideas and projects using misting and masking.

Photobucket

No comments: